Saturday, February 27, 2010

John Newton: From Disgrace to Amazing Grace by Jonathan Aitken

This is the second book that I read completely through on my new Kindle. I picked it up cheap and thought it would be a good read on my trip. It was. One bonus for me was that he quotes the ‘Newton scholar’ Bruce Hindmarsh a few times. I’ve never met Bruce, but he’s the brother of a friend. So every time there was a quote from him, I was like, ‘Ha, that’s Brenda’s brother.’

What I Liked
The book was readable. It didn’t get bogged down with too much detail or rabbit-trails, but there were plenty of stories to keep me engaged. I thought the author did a good job of relating who John Newton was, a bit about his family, and his influence on the world.

What I Didn't Like
I like the book. There was nothing in it that bothered me or made it unpleasant to read.

Why You Should Read This Book
You should read this book to get out of 2010 and get a different perspective on the world. I was challenged by Newton’s personal discipline, his devotion to his wife, and his impact on the world. You will be, too.

Edit: Who the author is adds a whole new dimension to the book.

No comments: