Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Gravity

I never really think about it. Some days I fight it, like when I’m doing push-ups. I guess I appreciate it, since it keeps me here, but I’ll probably never understand it.

This past week a few conversations have sparked this idea of the ‘gravity’ in my spiritual life. What draws me in? What do I need to push away?

Last night we had a discussion about ‘growing in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.’ What does that mean? My friend, David, pointed out that it’s growing in our relationship with Jesus, growing in love and in our ‘knowing’ Jesus. I like that. When I was putting it into my own words it came out more like, ‘growing in orienting ever aspect of my life around Jesus, focusing everything about me on Him.’ Regardless of how you frame it, there is a fight involved. Just like I’m doing push-ups and sit-ups to stay in shape physically, I need to do some spiritual ‘exercises’ to continually refocus and reorient my life on Him. It’s a fight against the gravity of…well, everything that’s not Him.

No comments: