Thursday, May 22, 2008

Aging

This started off as a little soccer injury. I was blocking some shots on goal in Albania, much like Manchester United's goalie. It felt like I strained something in my right arm. (The left one had the ball mark on it like the hood ornament from a Mercedes.) Sunday, we were playing baseball in the backyard when I decided that a limb was encroaching on the field of play. I ran into the shed for the tree saw to remove the offensive branch. I handed the saw to Tim as I started up the tree, saying 'Hand this to me when I get up there.' He gave me a look as I started up the tree and said, 'Don't you want me to do that?' Sensing his challenge to my abilities in tree climbing I replied, 'What are you saying?' He very respectfully hum-hawed around for a minute and then voiced his concern for my safety. I saw this as the smokescreen it was and in an effort to dispel any doubts as to my cat-like abilities in a tree I said something like, 'Watch this.' I immediately slipped and caught myself with my right arm. The pain was fairly intense. I then asked Tim to hustle into the shed for the ladder so I could get down from the stupid tree. He then got me down and climbed up to remove the branch. A visit to a physical therapist a couple of days later earned me a smile and the diagnosis that there is a slight tear in there. Now the bruising is beginning in earnest. My elbow is bruised too.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol. "Don't you want me to do that?"

i miss you guys! can't wait to see you in August.

RDS said...

Todd,
Thanks for the cool picture of the bruise. did you climb trees as a kid, was this a flashback? Good to hear from you. We now have you linked to our church web site (glbc.org)under ministries. Thanks for blogging and keeping us here in central Michigan updated on the world in Hungary. Hope you have a great week. Happy Anniversary to you and Kristi next week. (21 I believe) God bless you and your family.
Doug Schlappi
rdschlappi@gmail.com