- A covenanted community – a church is formed not by people just hanging out together, but ones bound together in a distinctive bond. There is a certain obligation toward one another formed around covenant.
- Centered on Jesus – He is the new covenant with God and he thus forms as the true epicenter of an authentic Christ-ian faith…A covenant community centered around Jesus participates in the salvation that he brings. We receive the grace of God in him. But, more is required to truly constitute a church.
- Worship, defined as offering our lives back to God through Jesus.
- Discipleship, defined as following Jesus and becoming increasingly like him (Christlikeness)
- Mission, defined as extending the mission of God through the activities of his people.
from Tim Stevens LeadingSmart.com
I follow a couple of blogs. This one caught my eye for a couple of reasons. First, this is the kind of question I have been thinking on since 1995 when I first came to Europe. Other than language learning, the question of what a church is has been a constant topic. It helps to have a good idea of what you're trying to get started when you're working in a different culture.
Second, Hirsch's book is sitting on my shelf waiting for me to read. I need to get to it.